Clock and gunpowder horn, anonymous, c. 1590 - c. 1596

Clock and gunpowder horn, anonymous, c. 1590 - c. 1596

founding, h 9.5cm × d 5cm × w 1949gr More details

This clock was originally intended as merchandise for sale or as a gift. It was hung up in the ‘Save House’ as the only means of providing a sense of time during the long, polar nights. On 3 December 1596, it froze. Barentsz and Van Heemskerck shoved a parting letter into the gunpowder horn when they left. Three centuries later, the horn was rediscovered with the letter still inside. The letter cannot be exhibited due to its fragility.

On display in room 2.9

Collections with this work

Steen

anjet van linge

February 26 2016 - 8 works 111 1

behältnisse

karin schill

July 5 2016 - 42 works 106 1

Nova Zembla

Roy

February 14 2016 - 57 works 445 2